Sunday, April 3, 2016


                                               LOCAL NOTES
          Messrs. Cram & Co., of the  United States Hotel,  served up to a number of
     invited guest on Thursday week, the first salmon of the season. With green peas
     and other delicacies of the season, the dinner was pronounced a great success by
     all present. But this is nothing new at the United States. Mr. Cram is making it
     one of the most popular hotels in the state., and often  has on his hands more guest
     than he can accommodate. A pleasant landlord, a good table and reasonable prices
     are always appreciated by the public.
          The Chadwick house, which was so sadly shattered by the gas explosion of last
     Saturday evening, is one of the oldest mansions in town. It was built in 1765 by
     Rev. Samuel Deane, then associate pastor of the First Parish Church, and was one
     of the few houses that survived the destruction of the town by Mowatt in 1775.
     The lot originally contained three acres, extending from Congress Street to Back
     Cove, and was purchased by Mr. Deane of Enoch Moody and Arthur Howard (sic)
     for 60 English pounds. The house was originally two stories high, with a hipped
     roof, The alteration made after the doctor's death greatly changed its appearance.
     It was long owned and occupied by the late Samuel Chadwick, and was recently
     sold by his heirs to Mr. Ira P. Farring for $25,000. Mr. Barnum, who occupied it
     at the time of the accident, had fitted it up for a boarding house.
          A fearful and disastrous explosion of gas took place on Saturday evening last,
     is the  Chadwick mansion, on Congress Street, occupied by Captain Isaac Barnum.
     Workman had taken off a gas bracket in a third story chamber, and neglected to
     plug up the pipe. The gas leaking out, Mr. Barnum lighted the gas below, went up to
     discover the cause, and no sooner opened the door than a terrific explosion took
     place, raising the roof, blowing out the wall, and making a complete wreck of the
     upper part of the house. Mr. Barnum was thrown down and so fearfully burned that
     he was unconscious most of the day Sunday, but in the evening was comparatively
     comfortable. Mrs. Barnum was somewhat burned in tearing the burning clothes
     from her husband. The explosion was very loud and caused a great sensation in
     the neighborhood. Crowds surrounded the house on Sunday.  The accident was very
     severe to Capt. Barnum, causing much loss as well as suffering, and we cannot doubt
     there will be a generous response to Mayor Putnam's call in his behalf, for pecuniary
             Mr. C. S. Robbins, of Winthrop, writes us that in taking down the frame of an old
     house in which he and his father before him were born-the latter now nearly 80 years
     old-he found the timbers sound, and among them picked up a old copper coin which he
     sends us. It is one of the Nova Constellatio coppers, which appeared in immense
     quantities in 1783, and were probably struck in England. During the Revolutionary
     War no coins were issued,  and at it close there was a loud and  imperative demand
     for them, which was answered in all directions. There are five varieties of this copper.
     The one before us has an eye with stars around in on one side, with the word Nova
     Constellatio; on the other Libertus Justitia, in 1783, with U. S. in the center,
     surrounded by a wreath.

No comments:

Post a Comment