Monday, April 22, 2013

PORTLAND TRANSCIPT February 26, 1870


            In this city February 13th, by Rev. George F. Tewksbury, Nelson Green and
          Miss Falkingham, both of Westbrook.
            In this city February 15th, Samuel H. Pike and Annie I. Van Horn, both of
            In this city February 14th, by H. C. Houston, Esq., Joshua L. Taylor, and
          Maggie A. Doyle, both of Portland.
            In Brownfield February 20th, by S. B. Bean, Esq., William Smith Haley
          and Ellen Grey, both of Brownfield.
            In East Boston February 16th, Dr. Richard M. Ingalls and Miss Mary E.
          Shattuck, both of Boston.
            In Auburn February 7th, E. C. Dunlap, of Westport, and Lois M. Hunton,
         of Lewiston.
            In Lewiston February 15th, Emerson E. Goding, and Abbie A. Bigelow,
          both of Livermore Falls.
            In Lewiston February 3rd, Dr. B. F. Sturgis, of Auburn and P. Jennie Brooks,
          ol Lewiston.


            In this city February 17th, Honorable  William Willis, aged 75.
            In this city February 20th, Happy Morse, widow of the late Enoch Morse,
          aged 99 years, 10 months.
            In this city February 16th, Albert Redlon, aged 28,  oldest child of Nathaniel
          and Jane H. Redlon.
            In this city February 17th, Frank C. Quimby, aged 20.
            In this city February 20th, William B. Small, aged 46.
            In this city February 15th, Elijah P. Lewis, aged 36.
            In this city February 19th, William Radford, aged 90.
            In this city February 20th, George W. Moody, aged 58.
            In this city January 21st., Lieutenant Harrison Holt, 6th United States
          Cavalry, aged 27.
            In this city February 21st, Mrs. Mary Otis, aged 35.
            In Cape Elizabeth  February 18th, Mrs. Sarah B., widow of John Willard,
          aged 80.
            In Lebanon February 5th, James A. Ricker, aged 31 years, 6 months.

            Miss Eva Lane of Westbrook Seminary, daughter of one of the overseers in the
          cotton mills in Saccarappa, died suddenly on Sabbath morning by hemorrhage;
          the immediate result of exposure on the stormy Saturday on which the obsequies
          George Peabody, philanthropist were had in this city. She was a young lady of
           of culture and high Christian character.-Press


             Mrs. Happy Moses, the oldest member of that remarkable trial of whom we have
           lately been called twice to speak, first by a festive anniversary and than by the death
           of the youngest of the group, died peacefully and in the full possession of her faculties
          on Sunday morning last.  In eight weeks she would have been one hundred  years
          old, having been born April 20, 1770.  Her recollections of the opening scenes of the
          Revolution were naturally fuller though not more vivid than those of her surviving
          brother, Mr. Elias Thomas, who is two years her junior. She was not confined to
          bed for a day by her last illness, which seemed scarcely more serious than an
          ordinary cold, till the last moments of her long life approached.  In regard to her
          ancestry, of course the sketch we last week published of her sister, who was buried
          just one week previously, applies to her.  She was named for her mother, Karen-
          happock, but that was too long and unwieldy a word  for the people of this fast
          century, to whom she was known by the name given above.  She was married at
          about the age of 21, and her husband, Mr. Enoch Moses, was somewhat older than
          she; he died suddenly in the year 1836.  He was a "Minute Man" of the patriot
          force which guarded this place in the War of the Revolution.  His widow received
          a pension from the government on account of these services-one of the last of the
          revolutionary pensioners.  She had no children. Of late years she has resided in the
          family of Colonel J. R. Thompson, whose wife is her niece, being the daughter of
          her sister Hannah, the late Mrs. Rogers.  For some years after the death of her
          husband she continued to reside at the corner of India and Federal Streets, and
          afterwards moved to a house on the opposite of India Street, near the residence of
          her brother Elias. At that time her sister Betsey lived by herself in a house on
          Congress Street, near the head of India.  These sisters and brother were each
          born, and have always resided in Portland, and most of the time have been very
          near neighbors.
            The funeral of the late William Willis took place at the First Paris Church on
          Saturday last; in the large gathering of prominent citizens present were the City
          Government, members of the Maine Historical Society, directors of the Portland
          Institute and of the Merchant's Bank, members of the Aged Brotherhood, ex-
          Mayors of the city and the Cumberland Bar Associations, headed by the venerable
          ex-Chief Justice Shepley; Rev. Mr. Bailey delivered a very feeling address,
          commemorative of the high qualities of the deceased; the remains were conveyed
          to the Evergreen Cemetery, the bell of the church pealing solemnly as the possession
         started; the death of Mr. Willis was appropriately noticed in the Courts, and the
          numerous associations with which he was connected have passed resolutions in
          honor of his memory. 
            The loss we have sustained in the death of Mr. Willis is seen in the fact that no
          one has been found to give so full a biographical sketch of him and his family as
          he has given of so many of our departed.
            During the severe gale of Friday night a chimney on Miss Jones' boarding house
          blew down, making a large hole in the roof and considerably injuring the room
            John Neal, at the age of 76 is doing vigorous battle in the dailies in the cause
          of "Social Science."
            The house of Mr. Alvin Dyer, at Knightville was destroyed by fire, last week,
          involving a loss of $4000- insured for $2,400.
            Mr. Redlon of this city died last week at the age of twenty-eight; he was a young
          man of much originality and literary taste, and some years ago was a frequent
          contributor to the columns of the Transcript;  for the last two years he has been
          employed as proof reader on the New York Evening Post.
            The immediate relatives of the late Honorable William Willis present at his
          funeral were his brother Henry of Boston, and his sister Mrs. Duncan, of
          Haverhill, Massachusetts.
             Mr. and Mrs. J. K. Hooper celebrate their Golden Wedding on Thursday evening
          of this week.
             J. M. Kimball & Co., sold twenty-six sleighs at auction on Saturday, at an average
         of  $91.50 per sleigh.
            The three deaths of Miss Betsey Thomas, Honorable William Willis and Happy
          Moses have followed rapidly one upon the other, and make a sad gap in the ranks
          of our age people.
            The Press says there was once the affianced wife of Daniel Webster, but finally
         refused to marry him on account of his using strong drink; she never married.



1 comment:

  1. I have a question about this post (specifically the surnames Morse and Morris). I am researching my lineage to John Morse of Gray. My blog is at You can email me from there. Thanks!