Wednesday, April 24, 2013



            In this city 11th inst., by Rev. G. W. Bosworth, Mr. William R. Lawry,
          of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, to Miss Sarah B. Ross, of Portland.
            In this city 10th inst., by Rev. Mr. Eaton, Mr. Henry Winslow to Miss
          Priscilla L. Target, all of Portland.
            In this city 8th inst., Mr. Daniel Willard to Miss Rhoda F. Allen, both of
            In New York 8th inst., Mr. Charles Worcester of this city to Miss Marian A.
          Campbell, of New York.
            In Belfast 8th inst., Mr. Amariah P. Wood to Miss Olive Boynton, both
          of Unity.
            In Bangor 10th inst., Mr. Lorenzo Fletcher to Miss Amorette Thomas.
            In Bath 11th inst.,  Mr. Charles B. Dalton to Miss Mary Ann Scales both
          of Bath.
            In Rockland 8th inst., Mr. C. L. Allen to Mrs. Sophronia Harrington.
            In Thomaston 9th inst., Captain George A. Bailey to Miss Isabella
          A. Freeman, both of Rockland.
            In North Yarmouth 4th inst., by Rev. Caleb Hebert, Mr. James W. Webber,
          of Durham to Miss Jane G. Loring, of North Yarmouth.
            In Hollis 14th inst., Mr. S. F. Moody to Miss Mary E. Spencer, both of
            In Boston 15th isn't., Mr. E. Osgood Libby of this city to Miss Sarah L.,
          daughter of James Whiting, Esq., of Boston.


            In this city 12th inst., Rosina, daughter of Antonio and Hannah Caleb,
          aged 1 year, 5 months.
            In this city 14th inst., Eliza K., wife of Captain G. W. Turner, 37.
            In this city 12th inst., Frances E., daughter of the late Captain James
          Rackleff, aged 9 months.
            In this city 11th inst., Harriet Amanda, daughter of Mr. Samuel Bryant,
          aged 26 years, and 9 months.
            In Gorham 3rd inst., of typhoid fever after two weeks of painful illness,
          which was borne with great fortitude and Christian resignation to divine
          will, Miss Almira E., eldest daughter  of   Samuel and Mary Allen, aged
          19 years, 6 months. (We have not  space for the obituary accompanying the notice.)
            In Gray 10th inst., Mrs. Julia A., wife of Rev. Allen Lincoln, aged 34.
            In New Orleans 4th inst., Captain Thomas M. Brown of Rockland,
          master of barque Charles Brewer.
            Lost overboard 6th inst., from brig Burmah  (sic), off the mouth of Rappahannock
           River, William Carter, seaman of Brookline. (Mass?)

            In Saccarappa on Sunday morning last, the Grist mill of Babb &
          Wormwood, the carriage factory of M. F. Morse (both owned by Judge Fitch,)
          and the saw mills of Warren & Brigham and of Samuel Clemens were
          destroyed by fire, together with all their contents.  Loss of Mr. Morse, $4,000
          without insurance. Total loss estimated at $20,000 and fifty men throw out of
          employment.  The fire is thought to have been the work of an incendiary, and
          only prevented from becoming an extensive conflagration by the most persevering
          energetic efforts on the part of the citizens.

            A foot race come off Lewiston last week. S. H. Manning run a quarter of a mile\   
          in 58 seconds and won the highest premium, $5. The second best time made was
          1 minute and three seconds.

            At the Saco River Station of the Y. & C Railroad, on Thursday last week a
          little girl aged 2 years, daughter of Joseph O'Brien was burned so severely by
          her clothes taking fire from contact with the stove, that she died the next
          morning. The mother has but a moment left the house, when hearing a scream
          she rushed in and found the child's dress in flames.'

            At Machias Mr. Charles Bridges while running off lumber was buried by the
          falling of the pile, breaking both legs, one in two place, dislocating his shoulder,
          otherwise injuring him so much that his life is despaired of. 

            The Valley Times published at Vienna, Me., states that J. M. Whittier, Esq., of
          Boston, have recently given a fine town house to his native town, Vienna. It is
          said to be a very beautiful and commodious edifice.  There was quite a celebration
          on the occasion of its dedication-a procession, public dinner, speeches, &c.

            The celebration of the 100th birthday of Rev. John Sawyer was attended at Bangor
          by a concourse of people.  The aged preacher delivered an address an hour and a
          quarter in length without any apparent fatigue.  He stated that he was born in
          Hebron, Connecticut, October 9, 1755, being the youngest of a family of five sons
          and two daughters.  He preached his first sermon in 1785,  seventy five years ago!
          His discourse was facetious in many part.  Many incidents of Revolutionary times
         were related.  He was not out in the wars.
            He said he fired a gun once but when the ball went he did not know-he had not
          seen it since!  A contribution of $100 was taken up for his benefit.

            In Pittsfield on Wednesday, a man named Chancey Johnson hung himself
          upon a limb of a tree. He hung there all night before the body was found.

            The Machias Union tell the following story, which beats that of the three wise
          men of Gorham, who went to sea in a bowl-
            On Tuesday last Mr. William Tibbetts and son, a lad of 12 years left Addison in a
          small open boat having on board a large iron kettle holding some hundred gallons
          to go "around to Jonesboro" a distance of some fifteen miles.  When near Shorey's
          Island  the wind commenced blowing furiously which made so much sea that the boat
          filled, but fortunately the kettle did not, when both man and boy got into the kettle
          and succeeded in freeing the boat from water by means of a  bailing dish and arrived
         safely at their place of destination.  A tough story to believe, perhaps to tell, yet our
          information is so direct we believe the authenticity.

            Barque Fanny Buck, of Searsport, Porter, from Jamaica for London, put into
          Searsport, 6th inst., in distress, the captains wife and child dead, and the vessel
          short of provisions.  The captain had no mate and several of his men being sick he
          was obliged to keep personally in charge of his vessel during all the time of his
          distress.  The vessel will proceed after obtaining men and supplies.

            Schooner Ottawa, Howe, from Philadelphia for Portland which put into Newport
          10th inst., in distress; had been run into night of the 7th, off Cape of Delaware by
          an unknown schooner which carried away five stanchions on the starboard bow,
          rail and bulwarks, started top gallant forecastle, and sustained other damage.

            Brig Laura, of Machias, which sunk off Shag Ledge, below Boston night of 6th inst.,
          is breaking up, some pieces of her having floated ashore at Hull, Mass.

            Schooner Maria Jane, from Eastport of Alexandria, put into New Bedford 15th
          inst., for repairs, having sprung a leak in a gale 12th inst.

            Brig Edward Lind, of Portland, Green, from Trinidad for New York, with
          molasses was lost 24th ult., on Los Jardine's Reef.  Captain Green fell into the
          hole of the Spanish steamer Isabel, at Cienfuegos, injuring himself severely,
          doubts being entertained of his recovery. Crew saved and carried into Havana.
            Ship Ashland of Kennebunk, Clark which called at New Orleans 2nd isnt., for
           Liverpool, put back to Slaughter House Point, 7th inst., leaky.





No comments:

Post a Comment