Wednesday, June 18, 2014


                                                       MAINE MATTERS


          William Lycide, fireman on steamer Waldo, fell off the wharf at Bangor, Sunday
     night and was drowned. He was attempting to board the steamer.

          Roscoe G. Tibbetts, Brownville, has been granted a pension.
          The two year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Moore, of Sawyer Mills,
     near Dover, fell down stairs Thursday night. A nail projecting on the stairway tore
     her dress, which got entangled around her neck, choking her to death. In the parlor
     below at the same moment Mrs. Moore's sister was being married. During the
     ceremony the child strayed out of the room upstairs.


          Last Saturday, Kelley & Spear, of Bath launched bark Silican, 400 tons. She
     is to carry mineral cryslite  (cryslith?) from Greenland to Philadelphia, and is named
     for a part the mineral she is to transport.
          P. O. Vickery has rechristened his purchase at Fort Popham, and it will hereafter
     be known as "Popham Beach." Mr. Vickery is giving away 30 or 40 building lots
     on condition that the persons accepting them shall build within the year a cottage
     costing no less than $300. Some of the best citizens of Augusta, have taken lots, and
     six are assigned to Portland.
          The Great Island, New Meadows River, Thursday morning three large ice houses,
     with a capacity of 30,000 tons, together with the machinery, engine house and 7,000
     tons of ice were burned. The property was owned by Amos Haggett, Samuel S. Jordan
     and Captain Lemuel Soule, of Bath. Loss, $12,000, partially insured.


          The graduating exercises of Anson Academy passed off very pleasantly. The class
     numbered 12, the largest in the history of the school. Professor A. E. Blanchard has
     has earnestly endeavored to build up the school, and his labors are appreciated.

          Pensions have been granted to C. H. Hamilton, North Monroe, H. H. Davis,
     South Montville, and A. Thurston, Belfast.
          A post office has been established at Epping (Columbia.)
          At Jonesport, 14th, Mrs. B. F. Carver and daughter were seriously injured by
     being thrown from a wagon. A son of Maurice Beale, of the same town had his leg
     crushed on Friday, by being run over by a truck wagon.
          A very destructive fire occurred Wednesday at Shaw's tannery at Grand Lake
     Stream, near Calais.  The loss is $125,000. It is intended to rebuild the small tannery
     building this season. Everett White was burned to death. His remains, burned beyond
     recognition, were found in the ruins of the store house. It is supposed that he was
     removing leather and was overcome by smoke and heat.
          Pensions have been granted to Mary P., widow of John W. Waite, Calais, George
     W. Campbell, Machias, G. O. Lincoln, Eastport, and increase to Samuel J. Crosby,
      East Machias and James P. Wakefield, Steuben.
          Warren Robinson of Grand Manan, on board schooner Ella Brown at Jonesport was
     found Thursday night on the vessel in an unconscious condition, with his head badly
     bruised. It was concluded that in the darkness he fell into the hold. His recovery is
           The body of Mrs. Sherrard of Charlotte, who disappeared suddenly and mysteriously
     while going from her home to a neighbor's the latter part of winter, was found a short
     distance from the path where it had been covered by the snow until recently. She had
     been overcome by the cold and perished.
           At Calais, Wednesday, occurred the last act in  the Fletcher Brook tragedy. The
     judge after complimenting the jury on the conscientious manner in which it had
     discharged its duty, pronounced sentence on the murdered Calvin P. Graves, that
     he be confined in the State Prison, at hard labor for life. The audience seemed much
     affected, but Graves retained his composure. The prisoner was at once removed
     to Thompson.
          At Cherryfield, Wednesday, the counsel for J. Wilbur Day, convicted of arson at
     the October term, argued all the afternoon for a new trial, alleging bribery of  witnesses,
     tampering with the jury, both grand and traverse, the use of money and influence on
     the public and press by the prosecution and members of the Game Association, and
     newly discovered evidence. The court denied the motion and sentenced Day to 12 years
     in State Prison

          Mrs. Catharine Jordan, widow of the Captain Tristram Jordan, aged 75, fell from
     a chair on Sunday, and died of her injuries.
          The lumber mills of E. S. Hamlen & Co., Biddeford, that have been idle since last
     fall, have started up, and 80 men are employed.
          The mother of Henry Ward Beecher, who was a daughter of Dr. Porter, was born in
     the old Maxwell house at the foot of High Street, in Biddeford. The house was once
     elegant, now dilapidated. The Times says Dr. Porter had an extensive practice in
     Biddeford, many years ago.
          Edward Sullivan, superintendent of the Travelers Electric Light Company of
     Biddeford, while fixing the brushes on the dynamo the other evening received a severe
     shock, which stretched him senseless for half an hour or more.  He was attending to his
     duties while the machine was in motion, a very dangerous thing to do, and it is only short
     of a miracle that he was not killed outright.
          A Village Improvement Society has been organized at North Berwick, with Judge
     Hobbs as president, and Mrs. Samuel Buffum, vice-president.

No comments:

Post a Comment