Wednesday, December 4, 2013


                                                    PORTLAND CITY ITEMS
                                                        Glances About Town

          Mr. Charles E. Joss is ill at his home, the result of a paralytic stroke.
          Mr. J. E.  Prindle was able to visit his office Wednesday for the first time since
     his terrible fall.  He is still very lame and sore, but improving daily.
          Charles Thaxter, of Deering was found in a helpless condition from heart trouble
     on Exchange Street Monday forenoon, and removed to the Greely Hospital.
          City Clerk Dyer reports that 412 dogs have been licensed so far this year, quite a
     good deal short of the number for last year. There are over 1500 dogs owned in this
          Mrs. John Brown has given $5000 to establish a permanent free bed in the Maine
     General Hospital. She has maintained a bed there for many years by annual payments.
          Lieutenant Perry left Portland, Thursday, for Sidney, going by way of Halifax. At
     Sidney he will take the steamer Hope for Cape York, where he will go abroad the
     Windward and proceed northward.
          The actress Mora, who was killed in the Hampton Beach, New Hampshire catastrophe
     (a tornado,) was born in this city and spent her early girlhood here. Before marriage
     her name was Alice Witham and she was identified with entertainment at the Church of
     the Messiah and with amateur theatricals in this city at quite an early age. Her husband,
     Mr. Fred Williams, was with her at Hampton.
          By the capsizing of a catboat off Simonton's Cove Saturday afternoon, five young
     men of a sailing party of seven were drowned. They were William O'Donnell, aged 25;
     Charles Sullivan, 18; James McAuley, of Barre, Vt.; 16. With the exception of
     McAuley all belonged to Portland. J. E. Foster, of Brooklyn, New York., and Bert
     Percival of Portland, both married, were saved. The rescue was made by A. T. Rich,
     of Hartford, Connecticut, a member of Company F, Connecticut Volunteers, in
     a camp near by, and a man named Knowlton who went out in a small boat. All the
     drowned were good swimmers, and with the exception of McAuley were employed
     at the Lakeside Press Company. The boat was caught in a squall, the sail, jibad-
     and she went down stern first.
          The statue intended to adorn the Firemen's lost at Evergreen has been completed
     by Hawkes Brothers.  It is the first granite statue ever constructed in Portland, and has
     required four months to complete. The figure represents a pip man in service, and
     the subject has been admirably treated. The sculptor was N. G. Packard of Hallowell.
     It stands 18 feet high. The statue will remain at Hawkes Brothers yard two weeks
     more before being taken to the cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment