Wednesday, December 18, 2013


                                                      WASHINGTON COUNTY

          Dennysville oldest citizen is Mrs. Mary Jones, who will round out the century if
     she lives another year.
          The Italian barque, Emillia, Captain Trapini, which arrived at Eastport last week,
     from Sicily, was 85 days out and those on board did not know there was war raging
     between the United States and Spain, as it had been declared since they left Sicily
     early in April.
          The Washington County Republican Convention was held at Dennysville, Thursday.
     F. H. Crocker of Machias was elected chairman.  All candidate were elected by
     acclamation except the sheriff and commissioner. The nominations were; for Senators,
     L. O. Dudley, Brookton, and D. J. Sawyer, Jonesport; Attorny, F. J. Campbell,
     Cherryfield; Sheriff, J. P. Longfellow, Machias; Treasurer, Austin Harris, Machias;
     Register of Deeds, H. R. Taylor, Machias, Commissioner, S. G. Spooner, Princeton.
          The Lubec Herald understands that George Mowry has sold his new factory to
     Julius Wolff, Esq., for $10,000. The terms of sale include the steamer Mizpah.
          It is reported that the Lyons Brothers have completed the purchase of the tract of
     land and mill privilege in Edmunds and work has begun on the dam.
          Two Calais boys Murchie and Shattuck are with Roosevelt's rough rides and were
     present at the battle near Santiago. They evidently escaped injury, as no mention is made
     of them in the reports of the engagement.
          The dedication of the new Baptist Church at Princeton built to take the place of one
     burned two years ago, occurred recently, the installation of Rev. P. A. A. Killiam being
     in connection with the exercises. Dr. A.  J. Padelford of Calais preached the dedication
     sermon. Among the larger individual gifts was $50 donated by Mrs. J. Maxville, New
     York, who was formerly a resident of Princeton, and a fine memorial window,
     presented by Miss Amanda Greenlaw of Princeton in memory of her father the late
     Deacon Greenlaw, and mother and brother who were also active workers in that
     society for many years.  There was a debt of only $80 on the church, which was   
     raised before the services were concluded. A new bell has been received, paid for by
     the young misses of the society, under the name of the Busy Bees.
          George Lancaster of North Lubec, has been taken to the Insane Hospital. Mr.
     Lancaster was a bright, intelligent scholar and has taught in Lubec schools for a
     number of years.

                                                            YORK COUNTY
          Charles F. Harmon, chief engineer of the Saco electric light station, got his arm
     caught under a 1600 pound fly wheel Monday, necessitating amputation. His is injured
          J. F. Stearns of Saco tells a story which is of interest to student of human nature,
     says the Biddeford Journal. In 1852 Mr. Stearns was approached by a young man who
     asked for the loan of $100, to enable him to reach  a Western town where he had been
     offered the principal ship of a high school with a salary of $1200, promising to repay
     the loan at the end of the first quarter. Mr. Stearns lent the desired sum and last week he
     received the first installment of the repayment-ten dollars.
          Twenty-nine persons were baptized by the pastor of the M. F. Church at Saco Ferry,
     June 20th. Twenty-five were immersed in the Saco River, July 3rd. Fifteen were received
     into full membership in the church.
          Ralph Seaward, the 13 year old son of Captain Richard Seaward of Kittery Point, ran
     in front of a mowing machine in action Saturday and both feet were nearly severed from
     his legs. All the muscles and bones injured and frightfully cut. He was thought to be dead
    from lost of blood before medical aid could be summoned, but two physician succeeded
    in  rallying him to some extent. The feet will probably have to amputated.
         Rev. Henry A. Wales, a former pastor of the Biddeford Universalist Church, died
     Sunday evening, aged 66 years. It was during his pastorate in Biddeford that the
     Greenback party came into existence, and he became one of its most ardent champions
     taking the stump in behalf of the candidates in the memorable campaign of 1879. Later
     he moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan, but returned to Biddeford about six years ago,
     and has since made his home at the resident of his son-in-law, Captain E. S. Gowen
     of the Biddeford Light Infantry, now at Chickamauga. Mr. Wales was a scholarly man
     and an eloquent orator. He leaves a widow, a son and a daughter.
          George Dean, 16 years old of age, a bell boy at a Kennebunkport hotel, was drowned
     while bathing. He was a son of Freeman Dean of Saco.
          Ephraim C. Spinney, one of the oldest and wealthiest residents of Kittery, died
     Thursday, aged 77. Deceased was one of the most prominent Democrats in York
     County for man years. While not a member of the bar he for many years transacted
     much legal business for the farmers of his section. He also filled the office of coroner
     for nearly 15 years. He is survived by a sister, who has been his housekeeper for
     many years. He was a member of Naval Lodge of Freemasons of Kittery.
          The Biddeford Journal says that "Parson" McKinney, the former New Hampshire
     Congressman who has been nominated as Honorable T. B.  Reed's opponent by the
     Democrat of the First district, will be one of the attractions at the York County Fair.
     He is expected make a speech there.
          Professor Arthur B. Leach, who has just been elected principal of the Manual
     Training School at Saco, has been one of the instructors in the Manual Training School
     at Port Deposit, Maryland.
          Peter Pourier of Biddeford walked off a piazza, falling 15 feet on Thursday, which
     by an odd coincident was the first anniversary of the premature blasting accident which
     rendered him blind. His condition is serious.
          Roscoe Henderson of North Berwick met with a serious accident Friday, while
     entering Portsmouth on his wheel.  Riding down a hill at a rapid pace he took a header
     and was thrown violently into the gutter.  His wrist was dislocated and he received a
     bad scalp wound. He was picked up by two young men in a passing team and taken to a
     physicians' office, where he his injuries were attended to.


No comments:

Post a Comment