Wednesday, April 2, 2014



          At a meeting of the trustees of the Dexter Savings Bank last week a committee was
     chosen to invite the executor of the Barron estate to examine the books of the bank and
     made arrangements to settle his affairs with the bank. The executor refused to examine or
     negotiate, and the trustees Wednesday voted to commence a suit against the Barron estate
     for the $800 loaned by Mr. Barron to Dr. Fitzgerald, and turned over to the bank without
     knowledge  of the trustees. They have also voted to call upon Mr. Barron's bondsmen to
     make up the deficiency appearing, and invite them to unite with the bank in employing
     accountants to go over the books and state the accounts correctly. The bank has declared
     a dividend payable July first.
          A man named Alonzo Glidden of Chester was drowned recently on the West branch
     of the Penobscot River. He floated off on a log from a jam of logs, got into rough water,
     lost his balance and fell in. The boat not being at hand, before they could get to him he
     had disappeared. He left a wife and children.

          The man who committed suicide at Bangor last week proves to be A. J. Packard, of
     Guilford. He had not been in his right mind for some time.
          The Steadman affair grows worse and worse, as new developments are made. The
     foolish as well as knavish lies he told during his whole pasturate at Dover, kept him in
     hot water all the time. He explained one lie by  another, until he came hopelessly
     involved. He had a constant struggle to prevent people he had deceived from comparing
     notes with each other. The catastrophe was precipitated by his attempt to get his uncle,
     Dr. Steadman of Georgetown, to certify that his wife had died there. The Doctor, of
     course refused to certify to the falsehood and suspecting his villainy, telegraphed to
     Henry C. Prentiss of Foxcroft that he should at once visit Dover.  Steadman was
     informed that his uncle was coming, and tried to stop him by telegraph, and finally
     hired a man to take him to Dexter, when he met his uncle, and the next morning he
     started for the West, his uncle  returning to Georgetown. His manner is still impudent
     and audacious. He proposes when he gets clear to make it hot for his accusers. He
     has even threatened Miss Gray, whom of other times he has profess to love so well.
     (Steadman is a minister and a bigamist.)


           Richmond correspondent E. writes; Considerable excitement  prevails here on
     account of several houses being entered by burglars on Thursday night. Between
     $50 and $75 worth of silver was taken from the house of Mrs. M. S. Hagar, and a 
     watch and chain from Mr. John Perkins. At other house entered no articles of value
     were taken.
          Edwin a Starkie, a lad of 11  was arraigned at Belfast on the 18th, charged with
     the murder of Ezra Baker, a boy of 8. Ten days before, he struck him with a stick
     across the legs in a boyish quarrel, as is alleged. The boy died of inflammation of
     the bowels. He came home crying, and his abdomen was found to be discolored.
     Starkie was found guilty  of assault and battery, and sentenced to 30 days in jail.


          A item was going around last week that John Robinson had fallen into the hold of
     a vessel at Calais and was seriously injured. The he in fact  fell 60 feet and struck his
     head, and yet is in a fair way.


          Phillip Phillips is to conduct a service of sacred song and Bible reading,
     interspersed with congregational singing at Old Orchard Beach, from July 16th
     to July 22nd. There will be gospel meetings and singing every evening, and public
     prayers every morning. No admission fee will be charged, but a collection will be
     taken up to pay the necessary expenses of the meeting. These service Phillips calls
     song sermons, and they cannot fail to be very attractive.
          Mrs. Ruth Stone was found dead in the road at Limerick last week, a case of
     heart disease.
          There was an attempt at murder and suicide in Lebanon on Thursday of last week.
     Lewis Gerrish made a desperate assault with a knife upon J. M. Gerrish, as is supposed
     on account of an old grudge. He cut a gash six inches long in his throat and neck, and
     there are cut on his hand, and six places in his coat.  Lewis was committed for trial,
     after which he took a dose of strychnine which proved nearly fatal. Lewis is a nephew
     of James M. Gerrish, whose wound are not considered dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment