Sunday, June 23, 2013

THE CHRISTIAN INTELLIGENCER & Eastern Chronicle May 14, 1830 & May 21, 1830


                In Portland, Theophilus Hamlen, Esq., of August to Mrs. Jane Carter.
                In August, on Sunday evening last, Mr. Thomas Wadsworth to Miss
           Rosanna Webber.
                In Belfast, Albert G. Jewett, Esq., of Bangor to Miss Hannah Wilson,
           daughter of John Wilson, Esq.
               In Winthrop, Mr. Noah Sturevant to Miss Angeline Cole.
               In Fayette, Mr. William Thompson to Miss Selvina W. Page.
               In Sidney, Mr. Robert Wells, of Embden to Miss Mary C. Sawtelle.
               In Boston, Mr. John G. Appleton to Miss Abigail Ann P. Merrill,
          of Scarborough.


              In this town on Wednesday last, Mrs. Sarah Perkins, wife of Alvin
          T. Perkins, aged 25. Funeral from the residence of Mr. A. T. Perkins,
          this afternoon at 2 o'clock p.m.
              In August on Monday last, Mr. Ezekiel Page, aged 84. Mr. Stephen
          Huse, aged 23. Mr. Stephen Crosby, aged 74.
             In Vassalborough, Mrs. Hannah, wife of Mr. Barnaby, aged 69.
             In Portland, Mrs. Mary Ann, wife of Mr. Henry Poor, aged 21.
             In Dresden, George Houdlette, Esq., aged 51.
             In Wiscasset, Miss Emeline Smith, aged 18.
             In Sidney, Mr. George Hammond, aged 42.
             In Fairfield, 4th inst., Mr. Samuel B. Tibbets, aged 57.
             In Hampden, Ms. Rebecca Emery, wife of Cyrus Emery, aged 19.
             At Great Falls, Somersworth, New Hampshire, James S. Stanwood,
          Esq., late Postmaster at that place, aged 29.
             At Audley, her residence in Frederick County, Virginia, on the 9th of
          April, 1830, in the 60th year of her age, Mrs. Betsey Carter, relict of the
          late Mr. Charles Carter, and only daughter of the only sister of the Father
          of our Country, General George Washington.


                   In Augusta on Monday last, by the Rev. Mr. Tappan, Frederick
              A. Fuller, Esq., to Miss Catharine M. Weston, daughter of Hon. Nathan
             Weston, Jr.
                  In Norridgewock, Rev. Francis Drew to Miss Flavilla Dinsmore.
                  In Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Ezra Carter, of Concord, N. H., to Miss
             Abby T. Clark of Portsmouth.
                  In Hampden, Mr. Benjamin W. Smith, of Truro, Massachusetts, to Miss
            Priscilla N. Hopkins, of the former place.
                  In Bath, Captain Samuel Swanton to Miss Ann Maria D. Robinson.
                 In Millburn, Mr. Solomon W. Bates, of Norridgewock, to Miss Mary
          Ann S. Neil, daughter of Colonel J. G. Neil, of the former place.
                  In Bangor, Mr. Samuel Eastman to Miss Harriet Holmes, of Monroe.
                  In Kennebunk, Barnabas Palmer, Esq., to Miss Sarah Grant.
                  In Kittery, Mr. Alpheus Dearing to Miss Hannah B. Hutchins.
                  In Cushing, Captain Stizaker, formerly of Nantucket, Mass., to Mrs.
            Sarah Wilson, of Warren.


                 In Wiscasset, Mr. Barnabas Sullivan, a Revolutionary soldier, aged 74.
                 In  New Gloucester, Miss Charlotte, daughter of Mr. Thomas Wharff, aged 16.
                 In Newburyport, James Prince, Esq., late Collector of Newburyport, aged 70.

                 Another Revolution worthy gone.  Died in Buxton, on the 30th ult., Captain
             Jabez Lane aged 88. He entered the Revolutionary Army in the summer of 1775,
                 in the capacity of 2nd Lieutenant In 1776 he was in the army under the command
                 of General George Washington, when  New York was evacuated by the American
                 troops and bore a part in the action at Harlem and White Plains, and in the
                 capture of the Hessians at Trenton. In the spring of 1777 he received a captain's
                 commission, and at Fort Edward, joined the army, then on its retreat from
                 Ticonderoga, and took command of the a company in Colonel Nixon's
                 regiment. The regiment to which he was attached bore an active share in all
                 the action which  preceded the capture of Burgoyne. Capt. Lane continued in the
                 service until 1780, when his domestic affairs requiring his attention, and
                believing that the independence of his country was virtually accomplished he
                requested a discharge.  During this period he was engaged in much active service
                and no officer of his grade bore a higher reputation for bravery and military skill.
                Although he took part in many engagement, Capt. Lane had the good fortune to
                escape from them all without a wound. His company when it left Long Island,
                numbered 120 men, but the battles at Harlem, White Plains and Trenton, and the
                suffering of retreat through the Jerseys, reduced it to 20. After he retired from the
                service, he resumed the business of a farmer, and continued in that peaceful and
                respectable occupation through the long reminder of his life, sustaining to the end
                the character of an industrious intelligent and upright citizen. His latter days were
                 cheered, in some measure by the tardy justice of his country, having awarded him a
                 pension-and he went down to the grave full of years and liquor.  It may perhaps
                not to be amiss to mention that at  the commencement of hostilities, two brothers of
                Capt. Lane also entered the service of their county; one of them as Captain and the
                other as  2nd Lieutenant;  of the same company with the subject of this brief and
                imperfect notice, they having enlisted the whole company by their own efforts.


No comments:

Post a Comment