Tuesday, June 18, 2013



              In this city, January 19th, by Rev. A. Dalton, James F. Smith and
          Celestia H. Richardson, both of Portland.
              In this city, January 20th, Emmons Chapman and Cleora F. Coolidge,
          both of Portland.
              In this city, January 16th, Lionel Brackett of Westbrook, and Adrianna F.
          Sherman of Edgecomb.
              In Cape Elizabeth, January 2nd, by Rev. Mr. Atkinson, William H. Lindsey
           and Hattie E. Ricker, both of Cape Elizabeth.
              In South Berwick, December 31st, by Rev. Z. S. Knight, Frank A. Knight,
          and Clara J. Johnson, both of North Berwick.
              In Windham, January 20th, by Rev. L. Wiswall, William Wescott and
          Hattie A. Gray, both of Standish.
              In Portsmouth, New Hampshire, January 20th, William B. Bibber and
          Josephine Mason, of Portland.
              In Lewiston, January 5th, Alfred J. Moore, and Jennie E. Hoyt.
              In Buckfield, December 25th, Samuel Record of Lewiston and
          Clementine Turner, of Buckfield.
              In Biddeford, January 9th, William A. Roberts, of Waterboro and
              Henrietta Mcdonald, of Biddeford.
              In Belfast, January 2nd, Stillman Sawyer and Hattie D. Bates, both of
              In North Yarmouth, January 20th, Alvah S. Pickering of Portland, and
          Estella L. Lord, of New York.
              In Augusta, January 11th, Charles F. Stone and Fannie R. Howard.
              In Sanford, January 2nd, Joseph Ridley and Mary A. E. Lord.
              In Bath, January 18th, Samuel H. Colesworthy, Jr., of Portland, and
          Nellie Lee, of Bath.

              In this city, January 21st, of typhoid fever, Stephen Swett, of this city.
              In this city, January 23rd, Sadie F. Hervey, aged 23.
              In Gray, January 4th, Mrs. Olive, wife of David Huston, aged 66 years,
          5 months. (City papers please copy.)
              In Saco, January 3rd, Mrs. Mary J., wife of the late Elisha Wadleigh,
          aged 39.
              In South Freeport, January 20th, Gershom Bliss, aged 44.
              In  Tremont, January 2nd, Samuel Lurver, aged 76.
              In Searport, January 9th, Vienna H. Warren, aged 46.
              In Gorham, January 18th, Mrs.Matilda Prince, daughter of the late
          Stephen Waite, of this city.
              In  Hollis, January 15th, Mrs. Susan Foss, aged 66.
              In Fayette, January 19th, Mrs. Emma E. Fitch, aged 36.
              In Turner, December 31st, Mrs. Lorinda Harlow, aged 32.
              In  Standish, January 2?th, Rev. James Weston, aged 78.
              In Harford, Oxford County, January 3rd, Ephraim Russell, aged 84.
              In Warren, December 6th, Robert Montgomery, aged 86.
              In Saco, January 11th, John F. Seavey, aged 22.
              In East Hampden, January 15th, Mrs. Hiram Prouty, aged 73.
              In Ellsworth, January 10th, N. T. Cunningham, aged 42.
              In Lewiston, January 17th, Charles E. Fogg, aged 27.
              In Waterford, January 18th, Stephen T. Proctor, aged 68 years, 2
          months, 6 days.  Of seven children, their aged ranging from 59 to 77 years,
          this is the first death.
              In this city, January 17th, Eddie F., only child of Captain J. P. and Martha
          B. Grace, aged 2 years, 8 months.
                                 His little life was brief as it was beautiful.


               On Wednesday week a boy named Edward Armstrong, thirteen years
           old, son of Eben Armstrong, cooper, attempting to leave the front part of
           horse car on Spring Street, fell under the wheel and was almost instantly

              On Saturday, Nathaniel Hasty, in the employ of Dr. Buzzell, of Cape
          Elizabeth, being a little tipsy mistook Brooks Wharf for Portland Bridge,
          and drove off the end of it, dislocating his shoulder.

              On Friday, a seaman named Thomas Osborne, who had shipped on board
          a vessel in the stream, attempted to cut his throat at the Pearl Street House,
          but only succeeded in making an ugly wound; trouble with his wife had
          caused temporary insanity, and he said that next time he would cut deeper.

              Mr. Isaac Barnum lost a valuable horse on Sunday; he was found in the
          stable with a leg broken, and Mr. Barnum was compelled to have him shot.

              Mr. Daniel Holiwood was thrown from his wagon on High Street, on
          Thursday evening and very badly injured; a man who tried to stop the
          the runaway horse was also much hurt.

              Mr. Albert S. Fabyan, a butcher was found by the police on Brackett
          Street Wednesday night, in a helpless condition, and placed in a cell in the
          station house, where he was found dead in the morning from the effects of
          lung disease and exposure; being supposed to be intoxicated he was left to
          die  alone; the police should remember that every person who may become
          helpless in the street is not necessarily drunk.

               Mr. and Mrs. John K. Hooper will celebrate their Golden Wedding, being the
          50th Anniversary of their marriage, some time in the coming month.

              The case of William Logan, who killed McCarty in a drunken quarrel at
          Standish, was tried before the Superior Court last week, the jury returning a
          verdict of manslaughter.

             Judge Barrows fined W. W. Thomas, Jr., $100 and costs, and Elias Thomas
          $2. 75 and costs, for  assaulting Mr. Hayes, turnkey at the jail and his wife.
               J. A. Hasty, postmaster and trader at Waterborough, has absconded after
         obtaining thousands of dollar by forging the names of  substantial citizen to
         notes, and raising the wind at the banks of Biddeford and Saco.

               Mr. Nutter of Castine, froze to death in attempting to cross the river from
          Brookville, on the 13th inst. He lost his way in the storm.

              William Hill, of North Berwick, has a barn costing $10,000 said to be the
           best in the state.

              S. N. Taber, agent of the Maine Farmer while crossing China Pond, broke
          through the ice.  It was with great difficulty he recovered his horse.  His fingers
          were badly frozen.

              Isaac Bigford and Isaac Verrill, two young men of Tremont, upset their boat
          and were drowned while out gunning last week.
              Jeremiah Quimby of Boothbay, who lost his life in the shipwreck of the
          schooner Mary, had the presence of mind to secure his address on a bit of
          paper, which he wrapped in birch bark, tied it with twine and stuffed oakum over
          it in his pocket.

             John Matthews, Esq., and Captain Henry Cooper, prominent citizens of
          Hallowell, had an altercation in a store last week. After it was over Captain
          Cooper followed his antagonist to his house, and rung his bell on a summons to
          renew hostilities.  Mr. Matthews reinforced by a cane, knocked him senseless
          injuring him severely.
              Joshua Gray has purchased Factory Dam, at Gardiner, on Cobossee stream,
          with land sufficient for the erection of extensive mills.  Mr. Gray went to Gardiner
          22 years ago as a clerk, and has had a remarkably successful business career.

              A Dixfield correspondent gives us several items of interest that have happened
          in the neighborhood; A plucky girl in Weld named Dorcas White, was met in the
          road by a wild cat, which was being pursued by her brother, who had been hunting
          with a gun. With rare presence of mind, and courage amounting to heroism, she
          took her shawl from her shoulders, threw it over the vicious beast, and held him
          till her brother came up and dispatched him.
              An old lady of Dixfield, Mrs. Wood, has knit 50 pairs of stockings since last

              Schooner Mary W. Hupper, at Savannah 10th from New York, reports on
          9th while coming to anchor outside Tybee the 1st officer, Mr. Hupper of Maine,
          in loosening the anchor was pitched overboard and drowned.  The night was dark
          and a heavy sea running, so that he could not be found.



No comments:

Post a Comment