Friday, September 13, 2013


          This blog should have been put on line a few weeks ago, sorry.

                                                         MAINE MATTERS


          Christopher A. Record and wife of South Paris, Me., have gone to Norwell,
      Mass., where Mr. Record is the new school principal of the High School.

          Frank Billing of South Waterford lost a vuluable cow by lightning in a recent
     heavy shower.

          One of the prison insepectors was at South Paris Wednesday and looked over
     the jail. He made a through examination, heard what the prisoners themselves had
     to say and examined into the fare they got.  He complimented Mr. Garland, but
     suggested a plainer diet. He recommended that a cell suitable for solitary confinement
     for refractory prisoners be furnshed by the county commissioners. Such a cell
     could be put in the jail at a very moderated cost.

          While playing with an old raft  in Jewett Pond, North Waterford in company
     with other children, Edith, daughter of Reuben Nason was drowned.

          Mr. and Mrs. L. J. Cole of  Freeport have taken the management of the new
     Uberty Hotel at Brownfield for the coming winter.


          George Edward Hunt formerly of Milford, now of Battalion D, heavy artillery
     of California, has been chosen as one of a guard of 25 to accompany the United
     paymaster who left Manilla, September 3rd.

          At a recent meeting of the Camp Benson Association, Miss Hattie Frost of Orono
     was elected treasurer of the Woman's Improvement Society. This society is auxiliary
     to the Camp Benson Association.

          Thursday as Mrs. Charles F. Rand of Brewer was in her kitchen attending to her
      household duties, there came crashing through one of the windows a bullet which
     which struck against the stove pipe. It is thought the bullet may have come from a
      revolver in the hands of someone firing at a target, and the City Marshall will make
      an attempt to stop such careless shooting.

          A trespass suit returnable at the October term of Supreme Judicial Court at Bangor
     has been brought by one John R. Bozle against Jason Denslow, a Dexter constable
     Denslow was an aid at a recent search at the Penobscot House and seized three bottle
     of beer found in Bozel's possessio on the premises. The beer was libeled claimed but
     not anyone. The suit is for taking the beer.

          Word was received in Waterville, Saturday, announcing the death of Ezra W.
     Colcord  of East Newport a member of the Maine Signal  Corps. Mr. Colcord died
     Thursday night of malarial fever at the detention hospital of Camp Wikoff. Mr.
     Colcord was a night telegraph operator in the employ of the Maine Central Railroad
     in Waterville.  He was a native of  Amherst, aged 27. The remains were brought to
     Newport for interment.

          The state convention of the W. C. T. U. will be held in Bangor, Wednesday,
     Thursday and Friday of this week. It is expected that about 400 delegates will be
     in attendance.  A notable visitor to the convention will be Mrs. Gertrude Stevens
     Leavitt, who is the only child of Mrs. L. M. N. Stevens, the president of the
     W. C. T. U., and who is now practically at the head of the national association
     since the death  of Miss Florence E. Willard. Mrs. Leavitt was present as a little
     child when the Maine W. C. T. U. was organzied at Old Orchard in 1877.
     (W. C. T. U. may stand for the Women's Christian Temperance Union.)

         Mrs. Mary Cowan of Bangor, sentenced to a life term for the murder of her
     step-son in Dixmont in the fall of 1894, died at the State Prison Saturday. Mrs.
     Cowan had lived for the past two years firmly maintaining her innocence. She
     was sentenced February 18, 1896.

          J. A. Fairbanks of J. A. Fairbanks & Co., was severely injured at Bangor Saturday.
     His carriage and a B. & O. electric car collided and he was thrown to the pavement,
     striking on the back of his head.

          Martha V. Houston has been appointed Fourth Class Post Master at East Bradford.

          S. A. Buzzell have been appointed Post Master at Parkman.

          Marcell W. Hall, one of Dover's wealthest citizen died at his home at about noon
     Wednesday, after a few day's illness. About three years ago he received a shock from
     the effects of which he had never fully recovered. He had about $14,000 worth of notes
     aginst the town of Foxcroft, and was one of the first to accept the compromise.

          The work of the Foxcroft compromise committee now seems about completed, only
    about $800.00 of the debt left the town by Judge Hale remaining to be compromised.

          N. J. Lamb, superintendent  of the Carleton woolen mill at Sangerville, reports that
      the woolen business looks better than it has at any time since the late war began. He
      bases this opinion on the fact that their largest orders for some time have been for 85
      pieces of goods, but the last order was for 400 pieces at  10 percent  advance on former

          A. J. Weymouth and Son of  Medford Centre have a crew of 230 men and four horses
      in Elliotsville yarding their poplar which was felled this summer.


          Lightning which struck a tree near J. P. Cobb's barn in Bowdoinham during the
     shower Wednesday shattered it, and threw the pieces into a barn window near where
     Mr. Cobb was dressing poultry.

          Conductor Hussey of the electric railroad rang in 740 fares on a trip from Bath to
      Lewiston Sunday evening. He had 120 passengers from the park to Brunswick, says
      the Bath Independent.

          Colonel  Oliver H. Payne of New York, who is having a mammoth and palatial
     yacht built at the Bath Iron Works, has given $1,500,000 to found a college in New
     York City, to be under the direction of Cornell University and to be built at once.

          W. G.  Bailey of Harmon will probably receive from his sweet corn crop $200.00
      in cash beside a large quantity from his silo.

          Mr. W. T. Getchell who  lives just out of Pittsfield on Palmyra Ell, had several
     valuable fruit trees about ruined, and the fruit stolen by a sneak thieves one night
     recently.  A number of gardens in that vicinity have been visited and squashes,
      cucumbers and tomatoes have been appropriated by these thieves, and in cases they
      have pulled up and destroyed the vines.  The gardens are being closely watched, and if
      the guilty parties are caught they will be dealt with according to the law.

          A remarkable case of vigor in old age is Mrs. Wealthy Walker of Monroe, who
     rode 100 miles in a carriage with her son George to visit her sisters in Poland, Me.,
     Mrs. James C. Hackett, Mrs. Lorania Waterhouse, etc. Five sisters took dinner with
     Mrs. Briggs, who is one of them.  Mrs. Walker then drove seven miles to her brother's,
     Daniel Hackett's in Oxford, returning the same day, and the following started for her
     home in Monroe.  Mrs. Walker is 88 years of age.


          Peter Martin, Deputy Sheriff, has received the appointment of United States
     Immigrant Inspector in place of Harry Heath, located in Eastport for  two years.
          The assay of the contents of the three gold accumulator of the Electrolytic
     Marine Salts Company, which were sent to Providence, developed nothing
     conclusive as to whether the Jernegan sea water gold process was a fraud or a
     failure. Two gave no returns while the third gave sufficient eivdence of gold to
     warrrant the company in continuing the tests.  Fifteen accumulators are now being
     operated at North.   The three accumulators, the contents of which were sent to
     Providence, were only in operation one week, which is not considered sufficient
     time to warrant a conclusive test.

          Of the 17 prisoners, 16 men and one woman, confined in Washington County
     Jail, for various offenses, two are John Fitzsimmons and Michael Myers of Calais,
     who escaped from the officers when they were being brought there, charged with
     with attempting to break and enter, and evaded recapture for several months.
     Recently one of these two were given the freedom of the corridor was soon detected
     drilling on the lock of the cell door of his companion

          Thomas Schofield, a house painter, was found drowned in the dock at Calais
     Wednesday afternoon. He leaves a widow and several children.

          Eastport Sentinel: C. F. Perkins manufactor of the fire extinguisher one of which
      machines exploded causing the death of Colonel E. T. Lee, was in Calais Thursday
      evening and tested the machine, now owned by the city. Mr. Perkins' company claimed
     that each extingiusher is tested at 200 pounds and that they will not explode unless
     overcharged. To prove his case he applied 210 pounds of water to one of the machines
      and it stood the test beautifully. He then very confidently picked up the mate to the
      extenguisher to run the pressure up to same point. When it reached  over 160 or 175
      pounds, bang! went the bottom covering the aldermanic table which was standing with
      water. The inventor's face was a study; he was the most surprised man in the lot, and he
      had so much faith in the extinguisher's ability to stand any reasonable amount of pressure
      that he was completely floored by the bursting of the bottom.
          William Ogden of Drew picked a bushel of cranberries on "Drew dead water,"
      on a recent day.

          L. G. Butterfield,  Wytopitlock, will cut a large quanitity of pulp wood on the
     Hall (?) tract the coming winter.

          W. C. Renno has purchased the C. W. King the building at Calais in which the
     custom house is located.  The sale includes the land and wharf property in the rear
     of the block. The transaction is a big one, but the price and terms are not stated says
     the Times.

           John Littlefield, a most estimable citizen of Elliot, died on Monday, age 60 years.
        He leaves a widow and daughter, the latter the wife of Walter P. Perkins, Esq., of
       of Cornish, Me.

          Ivory Booth, employed on the farm of Mrs. Abbie Parcher of North Saco, was
     called to the door Wednesday evening by a stranger who said his carriage had broken
     down and he needed assistance; Mr. Boothby left the house with him and did not
     return. Beside Mrs. Parcher who is quite an aged lady, there were stopping at the house
     a Mrs. Foss and Miss Rena Morrill, and the two last named ladies went early Thursday
     morning in search of Mr. Boothby after lying awake all night in alarm of his long
     absence. After going a short distance they found the dead body of Mr. Boothby and
     summoned help. Investigation showed that he had been shot twice, and robbery was
     the probable motive for the crime as his pocketbook known to have contained some
      $25.00 was missing. An inquest was held and several clues were followed, one resulting
      in the arrest of Nathan Wade, a wandering wood chopper in that vicinity, but he was
      able to prove an albi. Mr. Boothby was an honest, industurious citizen, 48 years of age,
     unmarried and previous to his working for Mrs. Parcher had lived with his brother on
     the Jenkins Road, about five miles from the city. Crowds of people from all over the
     county attended the funeral services, which were held Sunday. Not half of them could get
     within the sound  of the minister's voice.  Nearly 100 horses were standing within sight
     of the house, hitched to fences and trees. Search for the murderer is going on in Cumberland
     and York counties.  It is thought to be the work of a tramp.

          William H. Hall was one of North Berwick's oldest voters at the last election. He
     is 94 years old.  Within a few weeks he has dug 4000 hills of potatoes and done some
    other work.

          Captain Samuel Fletcher of Kittery, observed his 94th birthday last week. He is the
      only living member of the crew who assisted in making surveys of that harbor 60 years

          Misses Mary R. and Sarah Orne Jewett and their nephew Theodore Eastman, of
     South Berwick, sailed for home September 29th.

          Mr.  J. R. Libby of Portland has purchased C. A. Lacroix's dry goods store in
     Biddeford and will run in as a branch of his Portland store. His brother-in-law, Mr.
     G. Larrabee will be its manager.

          Fred Varney, a young merchant of Dover, N. H. was drowned while bathing at
     York Beach Sunday noon. A companion was rescued in such an exhausted condition
     that only vigorous measures brought resucitation and consciousness.

          Although Mrs. Judith Ricker of East Lebanon is in her 98th year, very deaf and
     blind, she is still able to get about the house with the aid of a stout cane that has been
     her constant campanion for several years.  Mrs. Ricker and an unmarried daughter
    live by themselves on the road leading to center Lebanon.
          The lull in Biddeford's two sided rum war was broken again when City Marshall
      Harmon and his deputy raided J. B. Fortin & Co., drug store at the corner of Main
      and Water Streets. They got a barrel of beer, three kegs  and several bottles of liquor.
     The seizure is said to be the outcome of a violation of Marshall Harmon's decree that
     no liquor be sold in town on the Sabbath.

          Major Daniel E. Morse, one of Lyman's oldest and most respected citizens,
      who died at his nephew's residences in Portland Thursday evening, aged 84 years,
     possessed a unique and interesting personality and during his early years, had
     travelled extensively.  He was one of the California's Forty-niner's and lived several
     years in Oregon. During the early fifities he was a trader in Springfield, Illinois,
     having as one of his customers Abraham Lincoln, who became his warm friend, and
     bestowed upon him several gifts which Mr. Morse fondly treasured to the day of his
     death.  After several changes from wealth to poverty he finally returned to his native
      town to spend his declining years.  The funeral services were held from the
      Congregational Church Saturday morning. Rev. Raymond C. Drisko officiating.
     The interment was in Evergreen cemetery.








No comments:

Post a Comment