Friday, August 16, 2013



          In this city, 8th inst., by Rev. G. W. Bosworth, George R. McIntyre, Esq.
     of Washington, D. C., to Miss Abby L., daughter of H. M. Hart, Esq., of
     Portland; 28th ult., Mr. Charles G. Innes to Miss Sarah Powers, both of
     Portland; 26th ult., Mr. Calvin Hilton of Lisbon to Miss Laura Ring of Bath.
          In this city, 5th inst., by Rev. Edward P. Thwing, Mr. Charles Smith, of
     Lewiston, to Miss Eliza H. Norwood, of South Bend, Indiana.
          In this city, 3rd inst., by Rev. Mr. Walker, Mr. Benjamin F. Brock to
     Miss Emma Chick, both of Portland.
          In this city, 3rd inst., by Rev. Mr. Abbot, Rev. Joseph Morse, of Auburn,
     to Miss Emily J., daughter of S. R. Leavitt, Esq.
          In this city, 5th inst., by Rev. Alexander Burgess, Corporal Henry M. Smith,
     Company  C Tenth Regiment M. V. M., to Miss Lydia M. Howes, of Portland.
          In August, 2nd inst., Mr. William L. T. Davis to Miss Sarah L. Foss
     of Auburn.
          In Somersworth, New Hampshire, 3rd inst., Mr. Otis C. Newhall, of
     Portland, to Miss Catharine Cuthbert, of West Scarboro.
          In Skowhegan, 1st inst., Mr. John Sheaff to Miss Caroline L. Brown, both
     of Norridgewock.
          In New Gloucester, 22nd ult., Mr. Thomas Webster to Mirs. Sarah E.
     Webster, both of Gray.
          In Bowdoin Centre, 30th ult., Mr. William Card, Jr., to Miss Sarah
     Coombs, both of Bowdoin.
          In Biddeford, 23rd inst., Mr. Charles E. Hill to Miss Almira M. Spofford,
     both of Buxton.
          In Appleton, Mr. Thaddeus W. Littlefield, of Augusta to Miss Arcanna C.
    Smith, of Appleton.
          In Rockland, 28th ult., Mr. John F.  Bow, of New Windsor, N. Y., to Miss
    Sarah S. McAllister of Rockland.


          In this city, 8th inst., Mrs. Jeanette, widow of Charles Coombs, aged 62
     years, 8 months.
          In this city, 2nd inst., Mrs. Nancy, widow of the late William Shaw, of
          In this city, 5th inst., Mr. Benjamin Larrabee, aged 73 years, 1 month,
     17 days.
          In this city, 5th inst., Lucy M., wife of Captain Reuel Merrill, of
     Cumberland, aged 45.
          In this city, 1st inst., Anna S., wife of George F. Harmon, aged 26.
          In this city, 5th inst., George Thurston, only child of John and Maria
     M. Fitz, aged 1 years, 4 months, 6 days.
          In this city, 4th inst., Roscoe G., son of Deacon Charles Barrell, of Cape
     Elizabeth, aged 29 years.
          In this city, 3rd inst., Mattie L., only daughter of John M. and E. A. Howe.
          In this city, 7th inst., Mrs. L. C., wife of Thomas Sinnott, aged 34 years,
     3 months.
          In this city, 7th inst., Freddie Willistien, youngest child of John G. and
     Ellen C. Libby, aged 2 years.
          In Westbrook, 7th inst., Lizzie B., youngest daughter of John R., and the late
    Catherine D. Sawyer, aged 14 months.
          In Falmouth, 2nd inst., Herschel Willis, son of Henry H. and Almira S.
     Norton, age 5 years, 4 months, 4 days; Lizzie J., daughter of Andrew J. ans
     Cordelia Adams, aged 10 months.
          In Thomaston, 1st inst., Mary G.., wife of Lorenzo Redman, aged 45.
          In Yarmouth, 1st inst., Mrs. Mary Ann Hale, aged 48 years.  
          In Westbrook, 1st inst., Edward B., son of David and Betsey
     Sturdivant, aged 17 years, 2 months; 26th ult., Mary F., wife of Ebenezer
     Libby, and daughter of James Johnson, aged 27 years, 3 months.
          In Strawberry Valley, California, August 30th, Mr. E. A. Cusham,
     formerly of Yarmouth, and son of Mr. E. T. Cushman, of Portland, aged 31.
         In Cape Elizabeth, 4th inst., Frances Ellen, daughter of  Joseph D. and Eliza
     R. Griffin, aged 1 years, 6 months; 29th ult., John Frederick, son of Thomas
     Gould, aged 8  weeks.

                                                  MATTERS IN MAINE

          Enlistments  for Col. Shepley's Regiment are progressing rapidly. There is to
     be attached to it a battery of artillery, composed of six pieces of rifled cannon; this
     will require nearly two hundred men, and rumor says it will probably be under the
     immediate command of Gen. Tillison. Colonel Goddard's Cavalry Regiment goes
     into camp at Augusta next week, where it will remain for a few weeks for thorough
     drill.  Capt. Hight of the U. S. Dragoons, has been appointed Lieutenant Colonel
      of the Regiment.
          The Eleventh Regiment has commences assembling at Augusta. It is supposed
     that at least eighteen regiments will be raised in this state. The regiments cost one
     hundred thousand each before they are available for actual service.

          Captain Stephen Barry, of Machiasport was out fishing for halibut on
     Wednesday, and on Friday his boat was discovered containing two halibut and
     as the line and gaff were gone, it was supposed that having fastened to the third,
     he was drawn overboard while attempting to haul it in. Captain Barry was about
     aged 63 years of age.

          Mr. Robert Sinclair, of Skowhegan,fell  from from a tree while gathering
     apples and broke his arm.

          Surgeon Garcelon calls on the generous ladies of Maine to provide the
     hospital departments of the regiments now organizing with sheets, shirts, drawers,
     pillow cases (all cotton) and towels. The supply of bandages is nearly exhusted.
     Packages forwarded to his office is in the new City Hall, Portland, will be
     thankfully received.

          Mr. George Chase of Waterville, was found dead on Wednesday morning,
     at the William House in that  town, where he boarded. It is supposed he arose
     in the night in a fit while on his way to the  privy.

          Preble, the wife  murderer at Auburn, plead guilty, and has been sentenced to
     be hanged, in the meantime to be confined to hard labor in the state prison. Ford,
     who killed Dwier, plead guillty of manslaughter was sentenced to five years in the
     state prison.

          The Augusta Banner thus describe "an individuaal" who visited that city
     recently; "It was the squint-eyed lawyer soldier, of Charleston Convention and
     Fortress Monroe-contraband notoriety-Major General Benjamin F. Butler!"
     The General must feel complimented!

          On Fast Day a son of Mr. John Moran, of Biddeford, aged 20 years, fell
     about ten feet from a tree on which he was putting up a swing, and was instantly

          The watch and jewelry store of Mr. D. E. Lucy, in Houlton was broken into
     on Saturday night last, and some twenty-five or thirty silver watches stolen.

          It is said that Capt. W. S. Heath, of Waterville, late of the 3rd Regiment, has
     been appointed Lieutentent Colonel of the Fifth Regiment.

          It is stated that David R. Hasting, Esq., of Lovell, will be appointed Major
    of the Twelfth Regiment.

          A large loupcervier (Canadian Lynx) measuring six feet, was recently killed
     in Jay, by two hunters of the name of Hall from Dixfield.

          By the upsetting of a pleasure boat off Diamond Cove, Casco Bay, in our
     harbor on Tuesday afternoon, six young men of this city were suddenly
     consigned to a watery grave.
          The party consisted of seven, and the names of those who was drowned
     were John W. Ford, Rufus Hyde, Charles L. Hyde, Stephen Morse, Charles
     Allen, Charles Buzzell.  Edmund Goodhue escaped by swimming to the shore,
     which he reached in an exhausted condition. The boat was the yacht Otraska, and
     when the squall struck her she capisized and went down. Two of the men seized
     hold of Goodhues coat as he was swimming ashore, when he unbuttoned it and
     they drew it off him. Ford, C. L. Hyde, Morse and Buzzell leave families. The body
     of Rufus Hyde was found on the shore. This sad event has stricken many households
     with agonizing grief, and excited a feeling of sympathy throughout the city.

          The gunboat Kineo, built by Mr. Dyer at Cape Elizabeth, was to be launched
     onWednesday afternoon.

          Joseph H. Eldridge of Chatham, Mass., belonging to a fishing schooner in
     our harbor, Casco Bay, fell from a boat he was sculling one day last week, and
     was drowned. He was 24 years old.

          Honorable Neal Dow has been appointed Colonel of the 13th Regiment;
      Capt. Henry Rust, Jr., of the 10th Regiment is to be Lieutenant Colonel, and
      Capt. Frank S. Hesseltine, of the Third Regiment, Major.

          Captain Staples' Company of Home Guards, at Fort Scammel, have been
     paid off, having been in service two months. About $1800 was disbursed.

          Captain Robert Johnson  of Gorham, a respected citizen, but of unsound
     mind in consequence of a paralytic shock, was struck by a passing locomotive
     while walking on the railroad trunk, near Gorham village, Saturday evening,
     and instantly killed. His body was not discovered until two o'clock Sunday
     afternoon, This is said to be the first person killed on the York and Cumberland

          The dwelling house of  Francis Warren, Esq., of Lyman, was destroyed by
     fire on Sunday night of last week, and his youngest daughter, about 15 years
     old  perished in the flames.  The rest of the family barely escaped with their lives,
     and the oldest daughter, who has been sick for some weeks, is not expected to
     recover. The fire was set by some fiendish  wretch for whom hanging would be
     too mild a punishment.    


No comments:

Post a Comment